Vietnamese table salad
- 2 gem lettuces (leaves separated and well rinsed)
- Half cucumber (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 3 handfuls bean sprouts
- 1-2 firm star fruit or firm mango or green banana or Asian pear (finely sliced)
- 1 firm papaya (cut in half, seeds removed, peeled and finely sliced)
- 1-2 fresh green chillies (seeds removed and sliced into thin strips)
- Small bunch of mint leaves (chopped)
- Small bunch of basil leaves (chopped)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
How to make
Arrange the chopped salad items attractively on a plate with the lettuce leaves on one side as they are used as wrappers.
In a bowl add the garlic to the soy sauce. Use this as a dipping sauce for the lettuce wraps.
Squeeze the lime juice over the fruits. Place the salad in the fridge till ready to serve.
To enjoy your salad Vietnamese-style, wrap a little fruit, cucumber, bean sprouts and green chillies with the mint and basil in a lettuce leaf and dip in the soy sauce.