Spicy tofu with lemongrass, basil and peanuts
- 450g plain tofu (drained, rinsed, patted dry and cut into bite sized cubes) or 2 large chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized cubes)
- 1 tablespoon dried lemongrass
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed dried red chillies
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice blend
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut or sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons plain peanuts (roughly chopped)
- Small bunch of basil leaves
How to make
In a bowl, mix the lemongrass, soy sauce, chillies, garlic, turmeric, Chinese five spice and sugar. Mix until dissolved. Add a little salt and the tofu or chicken. Make sure this is well coated and leave in the fridge to marinate for an hour.
Heat a wok or heavy-based pan. Pour in the oil, toss in the marinated tofu turning it carefully and frequently to make sure it browns lightly on both sides.
Add the peanuts and most but not all of the basil leaves.
Tip the tofu onto a serving dish. Scatter the remaining basil leaves over the top and serve hot or warm.