Spicy green beans and black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 medium red onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 small hot green chilli (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and finely sliced)
- 3cm ‘finger’ fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- Curry leaves (of the pot)
- 1 tablespoon Malay curry powder
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 300g green beans (trimmed and cut into thirds)
- 200ml coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper
- Lime juice
How to make
In a suitable medium frying pan or Chef’s pan heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, onions, green chillies, garlic, ginger and remaining curry leaves. Fry until the onions have begun to turn light brown.
Add the beans and combine well with the spicy mixture making sure the beans are well coated. Add the coconut milk and reduce the heat. Simmer until the beans are cooked but still have a little bite (around 5 minutes).
Season with sea salt, a good squeeze of fresh lime juice and freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm until required.