Shrimp Creole with Rice
- 450g raw prawns (peeled)
- Alternatively use 4 chicken breasts (diced) or vegetarian meat pieces / sausage
- 3 teaspoons Creole spice blend
- 30g butter
- 1 green pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 stick of celery (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato powder
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 300g long grain rice
- Alternatively 3 packs of microwave rice
How to make
Thoroughly mix the prawns with the Creole spice blend in a bowl and refrigerate to allow them to marinate. (Do the same with any alternative you are using instead of prawns)
Finely chop the pepper, onion, celery, and garlic.
Chop the tomatoes and put them to one side in a bowl.
Heat 30g butter in a sauté pan or wide saucepan. (If using chicken add this here, and fry for 10 minutes). Then add the pepper, celery, onion and garlic and sauté the mixture for 5 minutes or so.
Add the chopped tomatoes and the tin of chopped tomatoes, sun-dried tomato powder and 250ml water to the pan of sautéed vegetables. Stir and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Continue stirring occasionally.
Start to cook the rice as per instructions on the packet.
Remove the marinated prawns from the fridge and add them to the sauté pan. Stir the prawns through the sauce and simmer gently until the prawns are cooked through (2 or 3 minutes). Season to taste with ground black pepper. (If using meat free alternative cook as detailed on the packet.)
Fluff up the rice with a fork and tip into a warmed serving dish. Put the Shrimp Creole into another warmed dish.
Enjoyed this? Try our easy mid week fix: Cajun Jambalaya Sauce