- Sea salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 whole chicken Jointed or equivalent assorted chicken pieces if you are not confident enough to break a chicken up. (approximately 6-8 pieces of thigh/leg)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 270ml of red wine
- 2 small/1 large onion - chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 3 garlic cloves – peeled and sliced
- Rosemary – 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaves – 4 leaves
- 3 juniper berries - crushed
- Handful of green olives - de stoned
- Handful of black olives - de stoned
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500 ml Passata
- 2 x 400g tins Cannellini beans
How to make
Season the chicken pieces with sea salt and black pepper and fry in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until ‘browned-off’ all over. Remove from the pan and place them into an oven proof dish.
Add the red wine to the pan, still on the heat and bring to a simmer, cook for about 5 minutes using a wooden spoon to gently scrape the pan to loosen the residual fried chicken. Then set this wine reduction aside in a small bowl.
Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4
Wipe out the frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Over a medium heat fry the onion, anchovies and the garlic with the crushed juniper berries and rosemary and bay until the anchovies break down and the onion is lightly browned and softened.
Add the olives, tomato puree and stir through. Add the wine reduction and the passata and bring back to a simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
Now pour this over the chicken pieces in the ovenproof dish and cover with a lid or several layers of tin foil and cook in the oven for 1 ½ hours.
After 45 minutes check the chicken and if it seems a little dry add a good splash of boiling water to the sauce and give a quick stir.
During the final few minutes of cooking time add your cannellini beans to a separate small pan and gently warm through.
Remove the chicken from the oven and skim off any excess fat (as required), taste and season. Serve with fresh bread and the plain, warmed cannellini beans.