- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Goan xacuti curry powder
- 500g lamb or chicken (diced)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste (soaked in water and seeds removed)
- 300ml chicken stock
How to make
Place 50g of desiccated coconut in a frying pan and dry fry on a medium heat until golden. BE CAREFUL. THIS WILL EASILY BURN. Once golden, decant into a bowl and set aside.
In a large saucepan with a lid, place 1 tablespoon of rapeseed or sunflower oil on a medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft. Add the finely chopped garlic cloves and Goan xacuti curry powder. Fry for about 1 minute.
Add the diced lamb (or chicken) and mix all together, sealing the chunks of lamb.
Add the coconut, stock and tamarind paste. Combine together. Put the lid on and leave to simmer gently for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. (Chicken will need less time ~30mins). The lamb should be soft and tender!