- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri masala
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 300g full fat natural yogurt
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped or grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- Small handful of coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ leg of lamb on the bone (approx. 1kg)
- Alternatively use 1 large chicken (1.6kg approx.)
How to make
If using chicken follow all the same steps as for lamb.
For the marinade –
Mix 2 teaspoons Kashmiri chilli powder, ½ teaspoon ground cardamom, 2 teaspoons Kashmiri masala, 1 teaspoon salt and 300g yogurt thoroughly in a small bowl. Add the ginger, garlic, coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Stir.
Place the lamb in a roasting dish and pour over the marinade. Rub well into the meat using your hands, ensuring that the lamb is thoroughly and evenly covered. Protect with foil and place in the fridge for at least one hour.
While the lamb marinates preheat the oven to 170 degree C (or 140 degrees C to slow cook).
Put the lamb in the oven for 1 hour 30 mins at 170 degrees C or, if time allows, cover the roasting dish with several layers of tin foil and slow roast at 140 degrees C for 3-4 hours.
Remove the lamb from the oven and allow to rest for about 15 minutes. Then slice or “pull” with a fork.