- 2 tablespoons vegetable, peanut or sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dried lemongrass
- 2 fresh green chillies (seeds removed and finely sliced)
- Thumb of fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 red onions (finely sliced)
- 2 carrots (peeled, halved length ways and sliced)
- 250g long green beans
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Laos galangal powder
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns (crushed)
- 120g tin bamboo shoots (drained and rinsed)
- 300ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Small bunch fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
- Small bunch fresh mint (roughly chopped)
- 3 handfuls of spinach leaves
- 1 lime cut into 4-6 segments
How to make
Heat the oil in a wok or in a deep heavy based pan. Stir in the lemongrass, chillies, ginger and garlic for 1-2 minutes to flavour the oil.
Add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Add the carrots and beans coating them in all the flavours.
Add the turmeric, Laos galangal, soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce and the crushed peppercorns. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the bamboo shoots.
Stir in the coconut milk and honey. Season with salt and cook gently for 10 minutes. Add the spinach to wilt. Add the fresh coriander and mint. Serve with the lime segments.