- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 white onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 small aubergine (cut into 1cm cubes)
- 3cm piece fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder (2 teaspoons if you like it very spicy)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas (drained)
- Salt and black pepper
How to make
Put 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the onion and mustard seeds and fry for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften.
Add the aubergine, ginger and garlic remembering to stir regularly to prevent any burning or catching.
When the aubergine starts to soften add 1 teaspoon of Kashmiri chilli powder (2 teaspoons if you like it fiery!) and stir. Pour the tomatoes and chickpeas into the pan. Bring to a simmer.
Cook for another 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Keep this warm until required.