- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 25g (1 tablespoon) butter
- Curry leaves ( of the pot)
- 1 medium red onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 medium green chilli (deseeded and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 small fresh beetroots (approx. 350g) (peeled and chopped into chunky matchsticks)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
How to make
In a medium/large saucepan heat the oil and butter over a medium heat. Add the curry leaves (of a pot) and allow them to sizzle for 30 seconds or so.
Add the onion and chilli. Fry until the onion softens and begins to develop some colour. Add the garlic, cinnamon, coriander and of the pot of fenugreek seeds (½ teaspoon). Stir and fry for another minute or two. Add the beetroot and mix well.
Fry for another 3-4 minutes then add the vinegar and the sugar. Stir in the coconut milk and the salt. Reduce to a simmer until the beetroot is cooked. Keep warm until required.