Aromatic meatballs with pine nuts
- 250g lean minced lamb
- 1 red or white onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons baharat spice blend
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried red chillies
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 slices white or brown bread (ground into crumbs)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- Half a big bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- Half a big bunch of fresh dill (finely chopped)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons plain flour (for coating)
- Sunflower oil
- 1-2 lemons cut into wedges
How to make
In a medium bowl, pound the minced lamb with the onion, garlic, baharat spice blend, cinnamon and dried chillies. Knead well with your hands. Add the pine nuts, breadcrumbs, egg, ketchup and herbs. Season well with salt and pepper.
Knead the mixture until it is thoroughly combined, then slap it down into the base of the bowl to knock out the air.
Take apricot-sized portions of the mixture and roll into balls. Flatten each ball in the palm of your hand so that it resembles a thick disc.
Toss the meatballs in the flour so they are lightly coated.
Heat a thin layer of sunflower oil in a non-stick, heavy-based frying pan. Place the meatballs in the pan and cook them on all sides until nicely browned. Drain on kitchen paper. Arrange on a serving dish and keep warm. Add the lemon wedges prior to serving.